Getting to know you: what makes you tick?
How much does personal understanding matter in the world of investment? We say it matters more than anything else.
Of course it is partly a question of understanding the facts. What is the source and origin of your wealth? What other investments do you currently hold? What tax issues are you dealing with?
But these facts represent no more than half the story - arguably much less. The other part is to do with you as an individual:
- What is your personal background?
- What family do you have, and what responsibilities do you feel towards them?
- What cultural or religious ideas are important to you, and affect the ways that you would choose to invest?
- What risks do you believe you are facing, and to what extent are you comfortable with them?
- Overall, at the highest level, what are your ambitions and intentions, and how do you envisage your wealth helping you to achieve them?
It takes time to develop an understanding of subjects like these. We will invest as much time as necessary in getting to know you. Only in this way can we be sure that we are able to become trusted advisors, in whom you can place real confidence.
Assessing the most suitable solution: what is the right direction for you
When it comes to designing the investment solution, selecting the assets to be held within our clients' portfolios is literally the last thing we do.
Two equally important tasks come first. The first of these is developing an appropriate structure. The issues to be considered here include:
- In which jurisdiction should the investment be held?
- In what name or names should the investment be held?
- Should the investment be written in trust, and if so who should be the beneficiaries and owners?
- How do we ensure that the proceeds of the investment will end up in the right hands?
The answers to all of these questions are crucial in order for you to enjoy the security, tax-efficiency and control which you are seeking.
The second essential task is to identify the most appropriate custodian for your investment. There are several key considerations:
- Since this will be the institution that actually holds your money, security is of the greatest importance;
- The custodian's service standards must meet your needs;
- Needless to say, the custodian must be willing and able to accept.
Only with these key issues resolved will we then consider the content of your portfolio. We will bear in mind:
- Your investment goals: what outcome are you seeking, and what is your time horizon?
- Your attitude to risk: how much are you willing to take in search of higher returns?
- The organisation of your wealth as a whole: how does this element fit within the whole?
Taking all of this into account, we will design a portfolio usually fully diversified across a range of markets and asset classes, and making use of the range of investment vehicles - such as segregated portfolios, insurance company funds that best suit your needs.
The value of investments can go down as well as up and you may not get back the amount you invested.
Making it happen: quickly, smoothly, efficiently
The implementation process is the easiest to under-estimate. Once you are ready to invest, you need a service that is ready to take action. The implementation process is the easiest to under-estimate. Once you are ready to invest, you need a service that is ready to take action.
Our process is smooth and efficient, drawing on a total of 27 years of experience. We are ready to transact - and to make sure that we follow any particular instructions to the letter. (For many clients, for example, there are important security reasons why no investment correspondence should be sent to their home addresses. That kind of instruction could be disastrous to ignore.
Reviewing your investment's progress: making sure you stay on course
Investment is a long-term business. The results of any chosen strategy will not be fully apparent for a long time. All the same, it is important to monitor developments and measure progress towards your goals.
It is our responsibility to do this, and to share our analysis with you in ways that are both straightforward and convenient for you. Depending on your travel schedule, it may be easier if we come to report to you in your country of residence. We are more than happy to do this.
Going beyond the investment solution
At expatwealthatwork, we are more than investment specialists. As your trusted advisor, we can provide expert support in other areas such as:
- Property Finance
- Immigration Services
- Tax Structuring.
Contact us - firstname.lastname@example.org - for Expatriate financial advice via telephone and email. Video calls via Zoom and Skype.